Friday, March 13, 2009

Ruen Pair



I was in a soupy mood and had cash on hand, which led me to make a direct beeline for Ruen Pair (a cash only restaurant located in the same shopping center as my standby Red Corner Asia). The BBQ duck soup was pretty good with meaty slices of duck, Chinese broccoli and wide rice noodles. One thing: I wasn't crazy about the smattering of celery in the soup (for the record, I don't hate celery but just don't care for it if given the choice). The portion is a little dainty, but I was looking for a light lunch anyhow (and it cost $5.95). For dinner, it'd be a good idea to get an appetizer or a salad as well.

I get the feeling that Ruen Pair is one of those places where a few key dishes stand out while the rest of the menu is fine (not amazing). I have not discovered which dishes those are yet, but am happy to continue with trial and error for now. Charles and I ate here a long time ago and we had a very fiery papaya salad, which I should order next time around. Can I get a what what for green papaya? No? Okay, fine, I will continue my love affair with it alone regardless of your enthusiasm.

Ruen Pair
5257 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90027
(323) 466-0153

No comments: