Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Kielbasa and Red Cabbage


I was in the mood for a comfort meal the other night; apparently the kind that Eastern Europeans long for. I wasn't sure if I should go for jarred sauerkraut or cook up some red cabbage to accompany the Polish kielbasa. I went with the cabbage as I'm pretty sure if I ever buy a jar of sauerkraut, it'll get used once or maybe twice before its expiration date (please pipe up if you can put the kraut away like nobody's business!).

I've seen Rachael Ray make many a sauteed red cabbage side dish before, but had never attempted it myself until now; I used this recipe from her website as a guide. The cabbage came out better than expected and I'm betting it'll taste even better after a day or so. Boy, do I love cabbage (and anything from its family, such as cauliflower, bok choy, collard greens, etc.)!

I still have half of the kielbasa left in the fridge, which will make for another dinner this week. I will have to eat it with rice or pasta, though, because I found it a bit salty and fatty to eat on its own.

No comments: