Friday, July 11, 2008

Scallops With Peach Salsa

I never order or buy scallops. It's not that I dislike them, they've just never made my heart sing like oysters, clams or mussels. But, a few days ago, some scallops caught my eye at the store, so I picked some up today. I thought I'd mix things up for Friday night by cooking up my least favorite mollusk. I wanted something crisp and fruity to off-set the richness of the scallops and I found the perfect mate in this cheerful peach salsa. This Epicurious recipe piqued my interest, but of course, I did a less involved version. I think the scallops could have used 30 more seconds of cooking time, but they turned out tasty enough and look Ma, I got good caramelization!

The real star, though, was the peach salsa (Epicurious used the term, don't look at me if you want to get into a debate about what constitutes salsa); lime, cilantro, jalapeno and red onion are a glorious quartet and they perfectly complemented the sweet, but not quite ripened peach (which is exactly how I like to eat peaches). This darling accompaniment will be making many more appearances in my kitchen this summer.

Pairs well with: After The Sunset
Pierce Brosnan as a thief? Woody Harrelson as a main character? The creepy Jamaican lady from the Pirates movies who makes saying Davy Jones so fun? Done deal. The icing on the cake is Salma Hayek who just wants a deck for their island bungalow and to retire from their life of crime in peace. The briny scallops and spicy salsa go great with the breathtaking island waters and Salma's stunning bikini scenes that make you wonder how her body is at all possible.

4 comments:

Lady Leila said...

This is definitely a dish I would like to try.... Love scallops although I don't indulge in them that often.....

Marie said...

I need more practice cooking scallops, I'll probably try something with them soon again.

Anonymous said...

This looks quite good! I might have to give it a go. I'm impressed by your output (and variety) thus far.

Marie said...

mike, it is so easy, you should try it. and it won't strain your back trying to get it out of an oven like a certain EASTER PIE.