Monday, July 14, 2008

Couscous Salad

I don't eat couscous much, but after enjoying a ready-made version from Whole Foods, I thought I'd try my hand at it. Well, it was easy to make, but turned out a bit bland and lacking in strong flavor. In this cold salad, though, the couscous is mostly a vehicle for the fresh vegetables and feta cheese as well as a good source of fiber (at least, I think that's what eating grains is good for). Although I had it for a light dinner, it'd be more suitable as a side dish, particularly at a picnic or a BBQ.

Couscous anecdote: my first introduction to couscous was when Cindy Crawford prepared it on "House of Style" and I remember thinking it did not look very good. Still, you have to give props to Cindy; her worldly travels as a supermodel must have led her to be way ahead of the food trend curve (at least in American; obviously there are parts of the world where couscous has always been a mainstay of cuisine).

No comments: