Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Village Idiot

A while ago, Food, she thought wrote about her visit to The Village Idiot and she mentioned a few menu items that were new to me. Having had a few meals and many drinks there before (and enjoying them), I made a mental note to stop by soon. "Soon" is a relative term, but I finally made it there when my friend Seve and I had brunch there.

Village Idiot 1903 Lager
Seve ordered a 1903 Lager ($6). I stuck with water, but from prior experience, I can recommend their Bloody Marys.

Village Idiot rancher's breakfast
He also had the rancher's breakfast ($11): eggs, black beans, crisp tortilla, ricotta salata, salsa roja and spicy sausage. He liked it.

Village Idiot full English breakfast
I was really looking forward to trying a full English breakfast ($13). But, I was let down. Perhaps one mistake is that I decided on a whim to order poached eggs? In addition, the sausage (ahem, banger) was dry, though the grilled rashers (bacon) were good. I guess I will simply HAVE to go to England for the real thing!

I prefer The Village Idiot during the day when the light spills in through the big windows, the conversations are a little less deafening and you don't have to wait for a table. I'll go back sometime again, but perhaps stick to lunch fare.

The Village Idiot
7383 Melrose Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90046-7526
(323) 655-3331

4 comments:

bagnatic said...

sounds like lunch is the better option.

weezermonkey said...

Your friend's breakfast looks good. :)

Not sure I'd even like an English breakfast in England, though. Ha!

erin scott said...

Hey Marie,
Thanks so much for stopping by my site. Next time I am heading down south, I will definitely check your site for restaurant tips.
-E

Marie said...

Bagnatic: Yep. I want to try their squid salad!

Weezermonkey: Yeah, perhaps I have glorified the English breakfast a bit. But, I tend to that with all things from England. :P

E: Hello! Your photos are so lovely. I look forward to continued inspiration from you.