Monday, February 1, 2010

Soy and Jalapeno Wings

Buffalo wings are a national treasure and will never go out of style. But, these days, I am more enamored with the Asian variety and decided to try my hand at a soy-based marinade. I threw the following into a sturdy plastic bag with the zip on top: a good amount of soy sauce, a wee bit of mirin and sesame oil, grated ginger, sliced garlic, sliced jalapeno and something like 1/4 cup of brown sugar.

Soy Jalapeno Wings

The wings turned out smashing, but not without a couple hiccups with my method. To avoid my mistakes, do two things:

1. Do not dump the wings and the marinade into the baking dish because it is the easy way out. Your wings will not cook (at least, not at the rate a sane person would desire). Somehow, I conveniently forgot about all those recipes that state "pat dry" when dealing with marinated meats.

2. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20-30 min. 350 degrees is the old reliable 40mph of cooking, but it was too tame for my wings.

One note about the marinade: the jalapeno wasn't present in the end product, so next time I will try a hotter chili. Making wings in the oven (as opposed to fried) is a less fussy alternative and so much cheaper than at a restaurant. Try them for awards parties and/or sports watching!

5 comments:

KirkK said...

Looks fantastic, I'm always looknig for new wing recipes.

bagnatic said...

any exact measurements to share or did you eyeball it? the ingredient list sounds manageable. i'll try it!

Marie said...

KirkK: Thanks! Fried wings have that crispy skin thing going on that's unbeatable, but baked wings are a grand at-home substitute.

Bagnatic: I eyeballed it, but I have faith in your abilities! :P

Esi said...

Sweet and semi-spicy...I am all about wings lately. It's becoming an obsession.

Marie said...

Esi: Wings are fantastic, especially the fact that they can make for such a frugal meal!