Thursday, February 19, 2009

Conchigli with Asparagus and Pecorino


I get hit with waves of "I need to get my life together" periodically and today was one of those days. First order of business: using up asparagus from the other night (I sauteed in a dry pan, threw in a little butter, then added some pasta water to steam the asparagus through).

The conchigli was purchased a few weeks ago when I made chicken noodle soup for Charles and it's been sitting in my pantry ever since. I thought the shells would be a good size for the small chunks of asparagus and I was right! Add in shaved cheese (from a wedge of pecorino I'm determined to burn through) and you've got a comforting and simple dinner with which the annoyances of the day fade away.

The best part of cooking asparagus is that it requires very little prep. For tonight's dinner, I didn't even break out a cutting board. I just snipped the asparagus with kitchen shears! Very Nigella, no?

2 comments:

Mary P. said...

I love pasta dishes that are uncomplicated. This, however, looks far better than my frozen peas, shells and ragu alfredo sauce I used to make back in undergrad while watching episodes of sex and the city.

Also, i don't follow who Nigella is, but I'll take your word for it.

p.s. can't wait to check out the podcast!

Marie said...

Mary! Yes, no-brainer pasta dishes are the best. Adding garlic into the mix also makes simple stuff much more enticing (which I'm sure you already practice already). Roasted vegetables and pasta were made for each other and lazy cooks like me.

And thanks very much for the podcast support!