Saturday, October 17, 2015

Republique

republique

This pumpkin sticky bun at Republique was very, very good. I savored every single bite. I have eaten at this place of joy and wonder a few times now and it makes me so happy. Walter and Margarita Manzke have created a thing of (food) beauty with their restaurant.

I can be a little jaded about LA food, but Republique is everyday magic* and has quickly made its way to the top of my take-people-I-love-here list. On my first visit, I had their salmon tartine and it was magnificent. It sounded simple on paper, but when I took a bite of all the components together, it was like time stopped. But, that's what Republique does; it surprises you about something you thought you knew (case in point: smoked salmon and some type of bread. I have had this combination many times in life, so didn't have high expectations. But, goodness, gracious, it was so good.)

If you go for dinner, you must have their bread, order something with butter and/or cheese and save ample room for dessert. They really know what they're doing on all fronts. Two things to keep in mind:

1. it is super popular. Patience is a virtue, but maybe have a snack before you leave the house; if you're going for dinner, make a reservation.

2. speaking of dinner, the price point veers towards "celebration" level. Fortunately, they have their menus with prices on their site (it is so helpful when restaurants do this!).

So, in short: I love Republique and hope you do/will, too.

Republique
624 S La Brea Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90036
310-362-6115

*this phrase means that even though I understand real people make this food, it boggles my mind.

2 comments:

K and S said...

this sounds like a gem!

Marie said...

Hi Kat! Yes, it is so lovely!!