Monday, February 16, 2015

Homemade Granola

homemade granola

I am trying to make 2015 the year of learning basic recipes that will enrich my life forever (please note how I softened the resolve with "trying" rather than just saying this is THE year, people). Now, my idea of "stuff I should know how to make" will probably differ from yours; it's not like I want to cook my way through a famous cookbook. I don't even have a long list. Off the top of my head, it seems to be just "roast a whole chicken without batting an eye" and make-your-own granola. So, as you can see from the photo above, I'm off to a good start and the only thing I need to learn for the rest of the year is roasting a chicken. 50% of my list is complete! What an accomplishment!

As I knew it would be, making granola is super easy. It is somewhere above PB&J, but definitely below chocolate chip cookies on the difficulty scale (I feel like whenever an egg is involved, things instantly become more precarious and the outcome is a little less certain. Just me?). I used this straightforward and helpful recipe (it has a photo stills, you see). My granola turned out pretty good (I used lots of cranberries and raisins), but next time, I would throw in some slivered almonds and more honey. I was short on the honey, so I used only about 1/4 cup. Really, I wasn't expecting miracles from homemade granola; most of the satisfaction comes from knowing I made it and I can do it again. For me, learning something new, however small, makes that particular day special and gives it the tiniest bit of meaning.

Okay, so if I get serious about this list, a few sauces and some baked goods would probably end up on there. Oh, AND PANCAKES. For a fairly simple pleasure, there is so much mystery around making a good pancake. Let's see how I progress this year. Mastering the pancake might be more of a lifelong goal.

No comments: