Saturday, November 9, 2013

Cafe Einstein Stammhaus (Berlin)

Researching food destinations for travel can become overwhelming very quickly. I always start big and whittle down. Past experience has shown me that I don't want to be too ambitious because a) there will be a time (if not more than once) when I cannot bear the thought of another subway ride and subsequent walk of x number of blocks just to try some ____ when I'm nowhere near peckish, and b) I need to leave room for the unplanned (you can't imagine how delighted I was when I came across a grocery store during a long walk in Berlin. Oh, the snacks and dairy section!). But, I always have a list to provide direction and two of my Berlin must-try dishes were Wiener schnitzel and apfelstrudel. So, I headed to Cafe Einstein Stammhaus, a Viennese coffeehouse in the Tiergarten area.

cafe einstein wiener schnitzel
Wiener Schnitzel with potatoes, cucumber salad and lingonberry jam (the English menu says cranberry, but I think it was lingonberry). Ladies and gentlemen, what you see here is the small portion. The jam was fantastic with the richness of the schnitzel; add a bite of the cucumbers and it was a symphony.

cafe einstein cucumber salad
Loved this cucumber salad. It was so simple, but the flavors were perfectly balanced. I enjoyed everything I tried, but these cucumbers with dill made such an impression on me. I also happen to love cucumbers.

cafe einstein apfelstrudel
Apfelstrudel with vanilla sauce. We meet at last! A refined dessert with lots of apple filling; I was happy to try this classic, but I was very full by this point.

I didn't take any interior photos because the place was pretty packed, but it's just so lovely. Think of a European cafe, a bit worn in, but with a lot of elegance and gorgeous light coming in from the windows. Just the kind of place where I imagine serious writers discussing broken hearts and the state of politics. You would be correct in guessing that I was in heaven lingering over my meal; a pretty magical experience for me.

Cafe Einstein Stammhaus
Kürfürstenstraße 58
10785 Berlin
Phone: +49 30 263 91 918

No comments: