Sunday, January 11, 2009

Vietnamese Shrimp Noodle Salad


I finally got a bottle of fish sauce, but my joy was short-lived when I realized I was at a loss about what to make with it. I love Vietnamese food, but I wasn't up for a lot of marinating or complicated recipes (I know, shocking!). After some research, I landed on Nigella Lawson's Vietnamese Shrimp and Glass Noodle Salad recipe, which I used as a guide with some substitutions and improvisation.

I liked the dressing a lot (love the zing of fresh ginger) and the sugar snap peas were a good call, but I should have cut the noodles for easier eating. By the way, I used rice sticks, which seem pretty similar to what Nigella refers to as glass noodles.

Overall, this salad served me well as a light dinner and it'd be great to take to a potluck (I can count on one hand the number of potluck-esque events I've been to, but maybe that will change this year). I'll be submitting this for Ruth's Presto Pasta Nights, hosted this week by Ivy at Kopiaste. Back into the PPN groove!

4 comments:

Ivy said...

Thanks very much for participating with this lovely recipe. Your dish sounds delicious.

Marie said...

Hi Ivy, thanks again for hosting this week's round-up! :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

Marie, this dish is lovely and refined. I can taste the flavors as I read your recipe. I'll be trying this soon.

Marie said...

Hi Mary, hope you try the noodle salad soon and I'd recommend adding in the cilantro, which I cut out since I can never use it all! The fish sauce and garlic really needs some sort of herbal punch to cut the strong flavor.